Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blanket Blues

I know that several of you have been waiting patiently for an update on the baby blanket that I started a couple of months ago for little Ruthie.  I know this because I've heard from quite a few of you.  It pains me to admit that I have royally screwed it up.  I haven't been talking about it, because I'm just so annoyed with myself for being so stupid!  I was sailing right along and thinking I would have it done in plenty of time.  In my mind, it was going to be so cute and special. I bound it off and went to block it and then, to my absolute horror, I discovered that the borders weren't even close to matching!  Now, this may not seem to be a big deal to some of you, but I wanted this to be perfect.  I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.  How could I have messed this up so badly?  I did measure, but apparently not very well. 














I realize that it's not a very good picture either.  I just couldn't capture the true color, but you can clearly see the lousy borders!  Turns out, that I don't like the yarn either! 
It's Plymouth yarn's Encore, a blend of wool and acrylic.  I have knit with this before, but I'm just not thrilled with it.  It is a pretty shade of green, despite what my camera is doing to the color. 


So then, what should I do?  I could just gift it as is.  My daughter-in-law assures me that I'm the only one who would even notice.  This isn't comforting though, as I wanted this to be really special.  I've always been a bit of a perfectionist, so this is really bugging me.  I decided that I also don't like a couple of the designs.  The proportions are just a little "off".  I think I know that I really need to start over.  I found a couple of other yarns that I'm testing to see if I like them better.
Isn't this color horrid?  I bought my new camera just so this wouldn't happen.  I guess when one thing goes bad, everything else follows.  However, you can see two of my new designs here.  The goose, which needs to be scaled down a little, and a new pig design.  That's as close a look at you're going to get for now though, as neither of them are close to being ready for posting!

On a positive note, I wanted to share with you a couple of pictures of blankets that have gone right!  Jamie, who is deadpoet7 on Ravelry, made this little number with six of my patterns:
I don't know what yarn she used, but she took nine of the designs and then sewed them together.  I like the way it reminds me of a quilt.

Cindy, who goes by CindyPsych on Ravelry, knit this pretty blue blanket:
 

She used Lion Brand's Baby First for her yarn and added this adorable border.  See, it is possible to knit a nice border.  Perhaps I should have consulted with Cindy before I began!

Thank you to both Jamie and Cindy for letting me share their pictures.  I guess now I have to decide if I want to start over or not.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

sparkle jars said...

Your blanket is beautiful and would be a wonderful gift. I could not see the flaw that you mentioned in the border. It will be loved.

Chantelle said...

I think your blanket looks fabulous! I don't see the issue with the border.

Jan E said...

I agree that the mistake probably bothers you more than it would the recipient, and I fully understand your wanting it to be RIGHT. In those situations, I donate my minor boo-boos to Project Linus. It is also my vehicle for a lot of quilting practice. Seems like a win-win to me. It's gratifying to know we all make these mistakes, even when we're experienced. Somehow lightens the burden of feeling so dumb, and helps me muster the wherewithal to start yet again!